At Awesome Prototype programmers are gameplay masters. Other than just coding, be prepared to wear your designer hat: you will get a vote on what makes it into the game. With constant development of both live games and prototypes, game programmers have a ton of responsibilities here, and we’re looking for the best of the best… someone we could build entire game teams around.
One of the most important aspects of the Awesome Prototype Game Programming Team is the ability to communicate and share our work between projects. If one team creates something cool, we often use or repurpose that in another game. Part of your role will be to efficiently collaborate and share knowledge with the rest of the team.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced and hands-on Lead Developer, able to inspire others both as a leader and as a developer. You take pride in your work, and know what it means to take responsibility and deliver high-quality products. You enjoy working in a dynamic and agile environment. You have the knowledge and ability to visualize how things should work, and how to translate this into a functioning solution.
We offer you a chance to join a team of professionals, where we believe that talent feeds talent. We do not believe in bureaucracy, nor are there any solo artists at Awesome Prototype. We all work together to achieve the best results. All of us have a genuine chance to contribute to the final product. We believe in each other’s skills and value each other’s work. If these are values that you are passionate about, then you might just be the person we are looking for. Not only you will be contributing your expertise and vision, you will also act as the key point of communication for design and art teams.
- Lead the team of developers, ensure their focus and motivation. Regularly assess the strengths and weaknesses of the team members and continuously mentor them.
- Lead by example and contribute high quality code whenever needed.
- Define and execute strategy for technical/software design and frameworks.
- Maintain high code quality throughout the entire production cycle for the game. Regularly innovate the process adopted by the game, pushing the boundaries of Awesome Prototype as well as those of the industry..
- Partner with art team / producers to ensure schedules and plans to meet business and project needs.
- Implement best practice tech management approaches, possibly including external development partners.
- Conduct code reviews and be a part of the hiring process for your future colleagues.
- Bachelor or equivalent degree in Computer Science or similar area
- 3-5 years of relevant experience as a Lead Developer (or similar) in a games company (>20 employees), including at least one shipped successful mobile f2p game
- At least 10 years of work experience in the software industry
- Experience with the entire game production pipeline and working with a live game
- Expert knowledge of game development in Unity3D (ex. Asset Bundles, Integrating or writing Plugins, Shaders)
- Advanced understanding of build / version control, pipeline management and Continuous Integration best practices.
- Experienced manager who genuinely likes to work with others and has experience in mentoring and leading a creative team
- Has excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Takes initiative to solve problems without being told, resulting in excellent follow-through
- Deep passion for games and entertainment industry.
- Good command of English .
- Advanced verbal communication skills in German
- Understanding of Free2play concepts
Why you will love it here
We’re serious about creating high quality products, processes, tools and everything in between. Do some of your best work at Awesome Prototype!
- Have impact from day one. Drive and influence the creation process of our games
- Be part of one of the fastest growing game companies in Europe
- Work on solving tough and interesting problems related to creating AAA titles for mobile
- We’re a collaborative, smart and hardworking team that learns from each other every day
- Competitive benefits matching your level of experience
- Participate directly in the success
- Work and live in Berlin – one of the most creative, culturally diverse, beautiful and affordable cities in the world with one of the fastest growing game development scenes.
- Many fun company celebrations and team activities
- Work in a really unique environment
About Awesome Prototype
Awesome Prototype aims to create games that millions of people will play for years or decades to come. We believe the best people make the best games, and that’s who we’re looking for. If you love games and are passionate about playing and crafting them, and you’re looking for a job that provides you ownership and independence, you’re in the right place.
We believe that staying focused means staying small. We hire only the most passionate doers and arm them with the trust and support to make the biggest impact possible. As part of a small, independent team at Awesome Prototype, you’ll be free to dream and succeed (and sometimes fail) big!
Please submit your CV along with code samples (max 3-5 files of a feature from a game written in C#. Does not need to be executable. Preference is Unity 3D mobile game project. Please label non-original code either as a comment at the top of a class, or at the position where the code was added).
If existent, we would love to see your Github (or similar) account.
Apply for this opening here. Please mention BerlinGameScene.com in your application.
Job ad published on September 5th, 2017