What’s the job?
Syncreality is looking for experienced C#/Unity developers to join our multi-disciplinary team. Help us develop our spatial computing engine for auto-adaptive playfields!
In order to realize our vision we are tackling the following challenges:
- development of a spatial compute engine
- design and implementation of developer-facing Unity toolkit
- creation of engine demos, prototypes and sample content
You will be proactively identifying and solving the black boxes that lie ahead.
We have a development runway all through 2022 – Jan to Dec, with possible extension post 2022.
We are looking for both intermediate- and senior-level developers!
Who are you folks?
We are Syncreality, a Berlin based team of multi-passionate and curious developers innovating the next generation of VR/XR content tools with playful and forward looking design.
We come from all kinds of backgrounds; game designers, software engineers, movie makers, modular synth enthusiasts, architects, and more. We believe in a highly democratic workplace with a radical degree of transparency that is strengthened by diversity of thought, background, and character.
Wait, what are you developing?
We believe in the power of virtual worlds as an immediately immersive and emotional experience. If you have ever put a VR headset on a parent and see them just get it, then you know what we mean.
Syncreality is an engine that can integrate the physical world into the virtual – imagine walking around in VR and actually being able to run your hands over the control panel of a spaceship, or sit on the log next to the campfire while you roast vegan weenies with your friends. The core of Syncreality is achieving this in a scalable manner that will work for anyone, any room, any place.
Syncreality is also the developer facing tool that makes this process possible – integrating non-intrusively and intuitively with the pipelines of making virtual worlds.
Finally, Syncreality is also producing content internally to showcase this engine and tool as it develops. We aim to put our best foot forward in not only exploring the experiential possibilities of physicality in VR but also how to educate future users in making the most of the platform.
What do you mean *experienced*?
Note! This list is meant to be an indication. We encourage you to apply even if you think you might not cover all bases perfectly. The right people are not defined solely by their skillset. We are learning all the time.
You will be applying your holistic understanding of prototyping, development and implementation to a live product development process, with many decisions yet un made, and many avenues to pursue. You will identify and solve the black boxes of today and tomorrow.
- Ability to set your own goals and be flexible in meeting the needs of an evolving project
- Excellent written and verbal ability to communicate ideas, illustrate problems, and champion solutions
- Ability to place yourself in the shoes of artists and developers of various levels, backgrounds, and needs.
Level of experience
- 5+ years experience as a developer in interactive media
- Proficient (2+ years) in Unity/C# a huge plus
- Passion for the potential of VR/XR
We are looking for both intermediate- and senior-level Unity developers!
Some other nice to haves would be if you have experience or a passion in one of more of the following fields:
- Computer Vision
- Unity Tools Development / Dev Tool UX
- Machine Learning (Segmentation / Scene Understanding)
- Unity Multiplayer Networking
- AR / VR
- Cloud Computing & Administration
- Procedural Asset Generation
- Unity Render Pipeline & Optimization for mobile devices
Great, what do I get?
Firstly, we – I – the person writing this document right now – care about each other and our mutual wellbeing. We want to create a healthier and more equitable place to work. Everyone’s voice has a place. We communicate together on how we can flexibly meet each other’s needs. For instance, during our prototype sprint, we all agreed to give one team member a higher base salary compared to the rest of the team to help them cover (their relatively higher) expenses raising a family. That felt great.
Some important facts:
- We work 32 hours a week. 4 normal length days, or 5 shorter days. Your decision.
- We offer several competitive salary brackets based on level of responsibility and experience.
- We offer 6 weeks paid leave per year.
- We don’t crunch, and we don’t do overtime. If in special circumstances extra hours are worked, we offset them elsewhere.
- No secrets. All financials and salaries are transparent and accessible.
- We talk about more than just sprints. How are you? How are things going? What do you think we could do better? Have you been to any good bars lately?
- We are primarily based in Berlin and would prefer having the majority of our developers close by, but are open to remote work and work from home.
Consider this a baseline. Tell us your needs! We are very open to discussing the details of what would make you feel happy and empowered on a per applicant basis.]
We offer a high degree of freedom and personal responsibility – and the support to fail and grow. You get to make a real impact in a small team that is not only at the cutting edge of VR tech, but also dead set on pushing the envelope of that tech creatively and experientially.
Our office is located in Berlin, inside of the Sophiensaele building in Mitte, a few minutes away from the Hackescher Markt. The Sophiensaele is the most famous dance theater stage in the city and home for all kinds of creatives, as well as historically significant as the meeting place of famous German communist revolutionaries during the early Weimar period.
We highly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, or other under-represented folks to apply. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive group of nerds.
Reach out to us with a CV and a little about yourself at:
Christian Kokott – CTO@Syncreality
Job ad published on November 30th, 2021